The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) recently released their list of most commonly cited violations for 2017. Understanding which violations are most common can help you avoid costly fines for your business and improve your company’s safety practices. That’s a win for employees who go home safe at the end of the day and for the company’s bottom line. If your business involves renting tools and equipment, these are areas where you should focus your accident prevention efforts, both for your employees and especially so for your customers.
Here are OSHA’s Top 10 Violations for fiscal year 2017:
1. Fall Protection: 6,072 violations
2. Hazard Communication: 4,176 violations
3. Scaffolding: 3,288 violations
4. Respiratory Protection: 3,097 violations
5. Lockout/Tagout: 2,877 violations
6. Ladders: 2,241 violations
7. Powered Industrial Trucks: 2,162 violations
8. Machine Guarding: 1,933 violations
9. Fall Protection — Training Requirements: 1,523 violations
10. Electrical — Wiring Methods: 1,405 violations
Jowers-Sklar Insurance works with clients in a variety of construction and equipment-related businesses. We would love to help if you need help with OSHA compliance, safety training resources, developing policies and procedures, or just advice.